This wiki is being merged with Super Mario Wiki. If you are a registered user, please take your edits over there.
Remember to check what links here and the the page history before deleting.
TNT Barrels, also known as TNT Drums in Donkey Kong Country's manual, are explosive and dangerous versions of a regular barrel. TNT Barrels, as the name suggests, are filled with deadly Trinitrotoluene, or "TNT". As such, whenever they are thrown, they create a large, fiery explosion, usually killing all enemies in the radius and sometimes revealing hidden Bonus Rooms.
Donkey Kong Country/Land series
TNT Barrel's first appearance was in Donkey Kong Country, and they continued to be found in all the games in the DKC series as well as in the Donkey Kong Land series. TNT Barrels are mainly used to find secret bonus areas, by blasting a hole in the wall where a bonus room was hidden. They can also be used to defeat strong, otherwise unbeatable or aquatic enemies, such as Krusha, Zingers, and Lockjaw, respectively.
TNT Barrels explode on the slightest contact with anything once thrown, be it an enemy, floor, or wall. Once picked up, they cannot be put back down without exploding within a few seconds. Some enemies such as Kaboom or TNT Knockas hide in these to use as their own weapon, when they charge at the Kongs.
A special kind of TNT barrels appears at the end of certain Donkey Kong Land levels, and can be used to blow up obstacles in the map.
The explosive barrels return in Donkey Kong 64. TNT Barrels here were small and red, and were mainly used for bosses, such as Army Dillo and Dogadon. Kabooms also reappear, using them again as ramming weapons.
TNT Barrels also appeared in DK: Jungle Climber. They can be used to destroy dense objects around them and will explode if attacked.
Barrels similar to TNT Barrels, referred to as Exploding Barrels, bear a resemblance to Auto-Fire Barrels. They are seen during the first half of Booty and the Beast, where King K. Rool takes over Bluster’s Barrel Works and begins manufacturing exploding barrels. However, Donkey Kong chased off K. Rool and production was halted.
Manual and guide descriptions
These are the descriptions of the TNT Barrel from various game manuals and guides. The Game Boy Advance manuals appear to all be based off of other game's manuals: Donkey Kong Country is based off of the Game Boy Color manual's description, while Donkey Kong Country 2 and Donkey Kong Country 3 are based off of the Super Nintendo manuals' descriptions.
- Donkey Kong Country Instruction Booklet (SNES): This drum of trinitrotoluene (that's TNT) packs quite a whallop. The explosion from this barrel can can defeat almost any enemy, and can break open hidden doors. If you pick this barrel up and then put it down (press Down on the Control Pad as you release the Y Button), it will explode a few seconds later, like a time bomb!
- Donkey Kong Country: Nintendo Player's Guide: This type of barrel will explode when thrown. They are excellent for helping you locate bonus areas. If Diddy holds a TNT Drum out in front of him, sooner or later he's going to blow open a door to a bonus area. Explosion on contact!
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) / Donkey Kong Land 2 Instruction Booklets: TNT Barrels explode when they are thrown. Be careful, because some Kremlings actually like to live in TNT Barrels...
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest Nintendo Player's Guide: This barrel is loaded with high explosive, and will go off on impact. Use it as a weapon or to break through walls.
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! Instruction Booklet (SNES): TNT Barrels explode when they are thrown. The explosion from this barrel can open hidden areas.
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! Nintendo Player's Guide: TNT Barrels explode when you toss them against the wall. The explosion can either open a hidden part of the level or allow you to escape from a tight spot. Watch out for enemies that shoot these at you .
- Donkey Kong 64 Official Nintendo Player's Guide: As you might have guessed, TNT Barrels are filled with explosives. If you pick one up and throw it, it will explode on impact. They're great for humiliating K. Rool's boss characters. They also act as explosive obstacles on tracks.
- Donkey Kong Country Instruction Booklet (GBC): Throw one of these powder kegs—the resulting explosion will harm any nearby baddies.
- Donkey Kong Country Instruction Booklet (GBA): Throw one of these powder kegs and the resulting explosion will harm any nearby baddies.
- Donkey Kong Country 2 Instruction Booklet (GBA): These, naturally, explode when thrown. Be careful, because some Kremlings actually live in TNT Barrels!
- Donkey Kong Country 3 Instruction Booklet (GBA): As you might expect, these detonate when thrown. Use the explosion as a weapon or to open hidden areas!
|Throwable||DK Barrel • Mega TNT Barrel • Steel Keg • TNT Barrel • Vine Barrel • Wooden Barrel|
|Enemy-influencing||Check and X Barrels • Krockhead Barrel • Plus and Minus Barrels • Stop & Go Barrel • Switch Barrel|
|Transformation||Animal Barrel • Cranky's Kong Barrel • Invincibility Barrel • Tag Barrel|
|Transportation||Arrow Barrel • Auto-Fire Barrel • Barrel Cannon • Biplane Barrel • Blast Barrel • Bonus Barrel • Booster Barrel • Button Barrel • Dance Barrel • Diddy & Dixie Barrels • Fishing Barrel • Fuel Barrel • Funky Barrel • Ghost Barrel • Golden Barrel • Ignition Barrel • Rocket Barrel • Rotatable Barrel • Steerable Barrel • Tracker Barrel • Warp Barrel|
|Enemies||Belcha • Dumb Drum • Klasp • Klobber • Knocka • Kracka • Kuchuka|
|Miscellaneous||Barrel Shield • Oil Barrel • Oil Drum • On & Off Barrel • Save Barrel • Slot Machine Barrel • Star Barrel • Style Barrel • ? Barrel|