It usually floats in midair, and cannot be lifted or used as a weapon upon contact, it shatters in a burst of sparkles and wooden debris, indicating that the barrel was successfully used. Its purpose acts as a "checkpoint" or "continue point" in the levels, and is usually located around halfway through a level. When both Kongs die, they break out of the barrel when they access the level again after breaking it. There is also a Star Barrel in every Candy's Save Point; this variety saves the player's data and cannot break.
- Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
- "These barrels are decorated with a star design. If you knock out one of these barrels, you will restart at the barrel's location instead of beginning of the level when you lose a life."
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
- "These barrels mark a midway point in the stage. If you break one of these barrels, you'll continue at that point if you lose a life later in the level."
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (SNES) / Donkey Kong Land 2 / Donkey Kong Land III
- "Star Barrels mark a midway point in the stage. If you break one of these barrels, you'll continue from that point."
- Donkey Kong Country (GBC/GBA)
- "Break open a star-spangled Continue Barrel to restart at that location the next time you lose a life."
- Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA)
- "These barrels mark a midway point in the stage. If you break one, you'll continue at that point should you lose a life later in the level.
- Donkey Kong Country 3 (GBA)
- "These mark a midway point in the level. Break one to continue from that point if you lose a life before reaching the end."
- Initially, in Donkey Kong Country, the barrel's explosion had a different animation. The sprites still remain in the game's coding. 
|Throwable||CK Barrel • DD Barrel • DK Barrel • DX Barrel • Mega TNT Barrel • Steel Keg • TNT Barrel • Vine Barrel • Wooden Barrel|
|Enemy-influencing||Check and X Barrels • Krockhead Barrel • Plus and Minus Barrels • Stop & Go Barrel • Switch Barrel|
|Transformation||Animal Barrel • Cranky's Kong Barrel • Invincibility Barrel • Tag Barrel|
|Transportation||Arrow Barrel • Auto-Fire Barrel • Barrel Cannon • Biplane Barrel • Blast Barrel • Bonus Barrel • Booster Barrel • Button Barrel • Dance Barrel • Diddy & Dixie Barrels • Fishing Barrel • Fuel Barrel • Funky Barrel • Ghost Barrel • Golden Barrel • Ignition Barrel • Rocket Barrel • Rotatable Barrel • Steerable Barrel • Tracker Barrel • Warp Barrel|
|Enemies||Belcha • Dumb Drum • Klasp • Klobber • Knocka • Kracka • Kuchuka|
|Miscellaneous||Barrel Shield • Oil Barrel • Oil Drum • On & Off Barrel • Save Barrel • Slot Machine Barrel • Star Barrel • Style Barrel • ? Barrel|