The Star Barrel, sometimes called a Continue Barrel, is a type of barrel present in almost every regular level in the Donkey Kong Country trilogy and the last two games of the Donkey Kong Land trilogy.
It usually floats in midair, and cannot be lifted or used as a weapon upon contact, it shatters in a burst of sparkles and wooden debris, indicating that the barrel was successfully used. Its purpose acts as a "checkpoint" or "continue point" in the levels, and is usually located around halfway through a level. When both Kongs die, they break out of the barrel when they access the level again after breaking it. There is also a Star Barrel in every Candy's Save Point; this variety saves the player's data and cannot break.
- Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
- "These barrels are decorated with a star design. If you knock out one of these barrels, you will restart at the barrel's location instead of beginning of the level when you lose a life."
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
- "These barrels mark a midway point in the stage. If you break one of these barrels, you'll continue at that point if you lose a life later in the level."
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (SNES) / Donkey Kong Land 2 / Donkey Kong Land III
- "Star Barrels mark a midway point in the stage. If you break one of these barrels, you'll continue from that point."
- Donkey Kong Country (GBC/GBA)
- "Break open a star-spangled Continue Barrel to restart at that location the next time you lose a life."
- Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA)
- "These barrels mark a midway point in the stage. If you break one, you'll continue at that point should you lose a life later in the level.
- Donkey Kong Country 3 (GBA)
- "These mark a midway point in the level. Break one to continue from that point if you lose a life before reaching the end."
- Initially, in Donkey Kong Country, the barrel's explosion had a different animation. The sprites still remain in the game's coding. 
|Throwable||DK Barrel • Mega TNT Barrel • Steel Keg • TNT Barrel • Vine Barrel • Wooden Barrel|
|Enemy-influencing||Check and X Barrels • Krockhead Barrel • Plus and Minus Barrels • Stop & Go Barrel • Switch Barrel|
|Transformation||Animal Barrel • Cranky's Kong Barrel • Invincibility Barrel • Tag Barrel|
|Transportation||Arrow Barrel • Auto-Fire Barrel • Barrel Cannon • Biplane Barrel • Blast Barrel • Bonus Barrel • Booster Barrel • Button Barrel • Dance Barrel • Diddy & Dixie Barrels • Fishing Barrel • Fuel Barrel • Funky Barrel • Ghost Barrel • Golden Barrel • Ignition Barrel • Rocket Barrel • Rotatable Barrel • Steerable Barrel • Tracker Barrel • Warp Barrel|
|Enemies||Belcha • Dumb Drum • Klasp • Klobber • Knocka • Kracka • Kuchuka|
|Miscellaneous||Barrel Shield • Oil Barrel • Oil Drum • On & Off Barrel • Save Barrel • Slot Machine Barrel • Star Barrel • Style Barrel • ? Barrel|