Cranky's Monkey Museum
|Cranky's Monkey Museum|
|Greater location||Crocodile Isle|
|Game(s)||Donkey Kong Country 2|
- "Visit me first and give me all your coins! I'm far more useful than those other sad-looking bums!"
- —Cranky Kong, Donkey Kong Country 2 SNES Instruction Booklet
Cranky's Monkey Museum, renamed "Cranky's Hut" in the GBA remake, is a location that Cranky Kong resides in, seen in every area of Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, excluding The Flying Krock. It is a spiritual successor to Cranky's Cabin (to the point where it's assumed that the Museum may be the interior of it) and works in a very similar way. There is even a remix of the Cranky's Cabin theme heard in the background. It also houses many Easter Eggs.
The Monkey Museum works in a very similar way to Cranky's Cabin, though it has been made much more convenient. First off, Kongs can now actually choose what information they want to learn about, and most of the tips seem clearer in general. There are now tips available for every level in an area and some tips are free, though some of the tips require a small 1-3 coin payment before hearing. These tips usually help find Bonus Barrels, extra lives, or more bananas and coins. Most of Cranky's humorous ranting this time around is from short entering and leaving comments.
In the GBA remake, not much has changed aside from renaming it "Cranky's Hut", a redesign of the cabin (removing many Easter Eggs), and the fact that players can now access Expresso Racing.
There are several Easter Eggs inside the Museum, and there is even a reference to a different game made by Rare:
- Chief Thunder, a character from Rare's fighting game Killer Instinct is on a wallpaper.
- Winky from the original Donkey Kong Country appears to be on display in a box. He appears to be left to rest. He's on sale for $5.
- Funky's surfboard from the original DKC is in the background.
- A giant red logo of Nintendo appears near Funky's surfboard.
- The Killer Instinct arcade cabinet appears to be on sale for $2.
- A Donkey Kong statue appears above the arcade cabinet.
- A big SNES controller can be seen.
- Rare's symbol can be seen.
- A golden statue of Expresso.
- A Kruncha's head has been cut off and put on display, much like a deer or moose in real life. "On sale" for $3.
- A turned over Minecart from Donkey Kong Country is in the bottom right corner
Donkey Kong Country 2 SNES Instruction Booklet:
- Page 26:
- Even old Cranky is getting on the entrepreneurial spirit. He's opened up a Monkey Museum where inquisitive monkeys can go to learn about the lore of Crocodile Isle. Prepare to pay to get the best hints.
Donkey Kong Country 2 Nintendo Player's Guide:
- Page 6:
- The Kong clan's resident curmudgeon returns to dispense his pearls of wisdom to the next generation of video game heroes, whether they like it or not! Cranky gives you scouting reports on the current area, including tips on beating major enemies and finding secret Bonus Areas. Tips can cost up to three Banana Coins, but they're worth it. Of course, wise cracks are always available free of charge.
Donkey Kong Country 2 GBA Instruction Booklet:
- Page 18:
- Even old Cranky is getting on the entrepreneurial spirit. He's opened up a small outlet where you can learn about the "history" and "culture" of Crocodile Isle.
- Cranky will occasionally ask the Kongs if they have tried a game called "Cranky Kong Country", which he claims was on sale a year ago (in-game, which translates to 1994, when Donkey Kong Country was released), and that he was the guy who made it so popular, not his son, which he refers to as "Donkey". This is obviously him just trying to take credit for the huge success that Donkey Kong Country was. It also seems that he might actually be jealous of its success, which is pretty out of character for Cranky Kong.
- Cranky is often shaking and seems to be restraining himself from hurting the Kongs, unlike in DKC where he would do so every few minutes. This was probably done to eliminate any controversies about hurting children.
|Candy's...||Challenge • Dance Studio • Music Shop • Save Point|
|Cranky's...||Shop • Cabin • Dojo • Lab • Monkey Museum • Video Game Heroes • Crosshair Cranky|
|Funky's...||Armory • Fishing • Flights • Flights II • Fly 'n' Buy • Rentals|