This wiki is being merged with Super Mario Wiki. If you are a registered user, please take your edits over there.
Fiery Furnace (Donkey Kong Country 2)
|Theme||Hot Head Bop|
|Notable features||Steerable Barrels|
|Enemies encountered||Cat-O'-9-Tails, Flitter, Kutlass, Krunch, Spiny, Zinger
|Game||Donkey Kong Country 2
Fiery Furnace is the only level of Donkey Kong Country 2 which uses the Steerable Barrel; When entered, Diddy and Dixie can be freely move it in any direction, and will eventually force a launch in whatever direction its facing if not initiated. The direction that the barrel fires is set, but the location where the barrel is launched is up to Diddy/Dixie. This barrel is the main "gimmick" of the level; they are used to traverse large gaps of lava, and Zingers are thrown in the mix, to be avoided.
Aside from the Steerable Barrel antics, Spiny, Krook, Kutlass, and Cat-O'-9-Tails enemies are found throughout the level, trying to defeat Diddy/Dixie. Cat-O'-9-Tails is particularly treacherous, because if the Kongs are caught in its spin attack, they can both be thrown into the lava, resulting in an instant loss of an Extra Life Balloon, and having to start from the checkpoint or start of level. The Cats can also be used to access hidden bonuses, however, such as the Bonus Barrel at the end of the level.
- Cat-O'-9-Tails: 5
- Flitter: 6
- Kutlass: 4
- Krook: 2
- Krunch: 6
- Spiny: 9
- Zinger: 50, plus 10 in the bonus room
- Banana Coins: 2
- DK Coin: At the end of the bonus room.
- K-O-N-G Letters
- K: After the two Krunch that walk in opposite directions.
- O: Found to the right of the second DK Barrel.
- N: Obtained by properly timing a Steerable barrel's launch in between two Zingers.
- G: Above a Cat-O'-9-Tails.
- Golden Feather: Between two Zingers in a Steerable Barrel segment.
- Find the token!: This bonus level is accessed by getting launched into a Steerable Barrel by a Cat-O-9-Tails shortly before the level exit. Diddy/Dixie will have forty seconds to get through a bramble-themed area, avoiding Zingers, using only a Steerable Barrel. At the end is a DK Coin. Interestingly, the bramble coloration is the same as the coloration of brambles found in Screech's Sprint.
- Banana Bunch
- Banana Coin
- Green Balloon