A Bonus Level, also known as Bonus Stage, Bonus Room, or Bonus Area, is a secret area found in the Donkey Kong series, specifically the Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Land series. If one is completed, the player is usually rewarded with a prize.
Bonus Levels first appear in Donkey Kong Country. They appear in almost every level, except for the underwater stages and Mine Cart Carnage. Bonus Levels can either be by breaking certain walls, sometimes with a TNT Barrel or by jumping in an Auto-Fire Barrel (changed to a Bonus Barrel in the Game Boy Advance re-release). Each Bonus Level has to be accessed in order to complete the game by 101 percent.
|(B) Vulture Culture
(B) Torchlight Trouble
(B) Trick Track Trek
|In this stage variation, Donkey and Diddy have to jump on a Klaptrap, sometimes two, for it to release bananas. It moves faster and releases another banana bunch each time|
it is jumped on. If jumped on enough times, the Klaptrap dies out, and the Kongs win a Banana Bunch or an Extra Life Balloon.
|(B) Bouncy Bonanza
Stop & Go Station
(B) Tree Top Town
(B) Snow Barrel Blast
(B) Slipslide Ride
(B) Ice Age Alley
Oil Drum Alley
(B) Trick Track Trek
(B) Mine Cart Madness
|The Kongs have to collect as many bananas as possible, usually from Auto-Fire Barrels.|
|Barrel Cannon Canyon
(B) Winky's Walkway
Stop & Go Station
(B) Millstone Mayhem
Orang-utan Gang (3)
(B) Blackout Basement
|The Kongs are in a Barrel Cannon and have to shoot themselves upward to collect various prizes. There always are three vertical lines of individual bananas. Above the|
bananas are either an Animal Token, Extra Life Balloon, or a Banana Bunch.
|Barrel Cannon Canyon
(B) Snow Barrel Blast
(B) Rope Bridge Rumble
(B) Oil Drum Alley
Mine Cart Madness
|The Kongs have to navigate through the Bonus Level to reach the exit on the other side.|
|K-O-N-G Letters either spin in a circle or switch around in barrels. In the case of the latter, "KONG" is always the word in the barrels. Each letter spells out a word, and the|
Kongs have to jump at the ones in the right order to win a prize.
|An item (Banana, Banana Bunch, Animal Token, or Extra Life Balloon) rapidly moves through multiple barrels. Once the item stops moving, the Kongs must jump at the|
consisting barrel to win that prize. Sometimes in this variation, the Kongs have to match three barrels depicting the same prize. They have to respectively jump and hit the
same object on all of those barrels.
* Levels with a (B) are accessed via a Bonus Barrel.
In addition, there are Animal Buddy bonus stages. They are accessed if three of that Buddy's Animal Tokens are separately collected. In each stage, the Animal Buddy has to collect as many Mini Animal Tokens as possible. For every one hundred collected tokens collected, the Kongs receive an extra life. If enough token are accumulated by an Animal Buddy in the Game Boy Advance version, the Kongs win that buddy's photograph.
Bonus Levels reappear in Donkey Kong Land. Like the original Donkey Kong Country release, the Bonus Level variations are unnamed. Each one has to be accessed for the player to get a 100% ranking on the game. They are accessed via the same methods, but some are accessed if DK or Diddy breaks a ground patch, revealing a vertical rope that flies upward. The Animal Buddy stages do not return in this game.
A new type of Bonus Stage is introduced in this game. In it, the Kongs' collected Kong Tokens are shot out of a revolving Barrel Cannon. The cannon fires out one at a time, but only if DK or Diddy jump on a ground switch. If either Kong successfully collects a token, they win an extra life. The game's only other Bonus Level variation is Find the Exit!, the game's most common one.
Bonus Levels return in Donkey Kong Country 2. There are three different Bonus Level types. All are accessed in the same way as in Donkey Kong Country, except that the Auto-Fire Barrels were replaced by Bonus Barrels and there is a title card for a Bonus Level variation. These were added to Donkey Kong Country's Game Boy Advance version, however. If a Bonus Level's task is completed, a Kremkoin, or DK Coin in the Lost World, appears at the end of it. The Kongs are timed in each challenge. Each Bonus Level's Kremkoin must be collected in order to help the player get a 102% status. The Bonus Levels remain unchanged in Donkey Kong Land 2.
Like with Donkey Kong Land and subsequent appearances, the Animal Buddy stages do not reappear in this game.
|Donkey Kong Country 2 Image||Donkey Kong Land 2 Image||Level appearances||Description|
|Diddy and Dixie have to collect a specified amount of stars within a time limit. There occasionally are more stars in the Bonus Level than necessary; Haunted Hall is an example.|
|Diddy and Dixie have to defeat all of the baddies within a time limit. It replaces Bash the Baddies! from Donkey Kong Country.|
|Diddy and Dixie have to explore through a Bonus Level and find its Kremkoin.|
Bonus Levels reappear in Donkey Kong Country 3. In this game, every Bonus Area is only accessible through Bonus Barrels and not through breaking a wall patch. Kremkoins were replaced by Bonus Coins in the Bonus Levels. Most of the levels have two Bonus Levels. A new Bonus Level type was introduced and is exclusive to this game: Grab 15 Bananas!. Rocket Rush is the only main level in the game missing Bonus Levels. Bonus Levels reappear in Donkey Kong Land III. They have a similar role as in Donkey Kong Country 3, except that Grab 15 Bananas! was removed. Collect the Stars!'s name now doesn't specify a Bonus Level's star amount in it, and Find the Token!! replaces the word "coin" with "token". Both of the new variation names are from Donkey Kong Country 2.
|Donkey Kong Country 3 Image||Donkey Kong Land III Image||Level appearances||Description|
|Replaces Destroy Them All! from Donkey Kong Country 2. Dixie and Kiddy have to defeat a certain amount of enemies within a time limit.|
|Dixie and Kiddy have to collect a certain amount of stars within a time limit.|
|Replaces Find the Kremkoin! from Donkey Kong Country 2. Dixie and Kiddy have to explore a Bonus Level and seek its Bonus Coin within a time limit.|
|(No image in Donkey Kong Land III)||In this Bonus Level, one green banana pops up at a time. Dixie and Kiddy have to individually gather all fifteen for a Bonus Coin.|
- Speedy Swing Sortie: Climb the trees and swing from vine to vine to collect all the coins.
- Mad Maze Maul: Defeat all of the enemies in the maze, then head for the finish line.
- Splish Splash Salvage: Swim down and collect all the coins in the barrel.
- Minecart Mayhem: Avoid the TNT carts on the track by switching lanes when they come close to you.
- Stealthy Snoop: Sneak through the maze without getting caught to the finish line.
- Teetering Turtle Trouble: Turtles are spinning around on the snakes' tails. To keep them spinning, shoot melons at the snakes' mouths. If a turtle falls, the game is over.
- Big Bug Bash: Use a fly swatter to swat the required number of flies within the time limit.
- Kremling Kosh: Shoot the Kremlings that pop out of the barrels. Regular Kremlings are worth one point, and red ones are worth two points. Shoot the required number before time runs out to win the game.
- Peril Path Panic: Shoot melons at the Klaptraps to subdue them so that the Banana Fairies can safely cross to the other side.
- Beaver Bother: The player controls a Klaptrap and tries to chase the Gnawties into the hole in the center of the barrel. The player must be careful not to fall into the hole themselves, or they will automatically lose the game.
- Batty Barrel Bandit: Stop the four reels of the slot machine on four bananas to earn a point. Earn the required number of points to win the game.
- Stash Snatch: Collect all the coins in the maze, then head for the finish line.
- Searchlight Seek: Using a spotlight, the player has to find and shoot the Klaptraps.
- Busy Barrel Barrage: Use your shooter to blast the Kremlings. If you let one reach you, you lose.
- Krazy Kong Klamour: The lights will repeatedly turn on & off. When they turn on, shoot the Golden Banana. Avoid hitting any of the Kongs, because if you do, you'll lose one point.